Friday, February 12, 2010

Message about the Storm from Mission President

Called to Serve
Mike and Joyce Murray's experiences while serving as Mormon Mission President for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the the Pennsylvania Philadelphia Mission from July 2007 - July 2010.

Thursday, February 11, 2010
Once More, With Feeling
I'm to blame for the massive snow storms in the Mid-Atlantic states. You see, it was time for me to get a new mission car. The church manages their large fleet of cars with great precision. My old car had maxxed out on miles. I asked, "Say, do you have any all wheel drive cars on the list?"

To my surprise, I was given a new Chevy Traverse. I'd never heard of it. But it's no car -- it's a rig. And rigs love snow.

So for the past few weeks I've been praying madly for snow. I wanted to take my Traverse on a true test drive.

I've learned an important lesson -- mission presidents seem to have more sway in the prayer department than I realized. I have now officially stopped praying for snow!

The Mid-Atlantic snow siege ended yesterday with record-breaking snowfall and blizzard conditions . Places such as Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD, Philadelphia, PA, Wilmington, DE and Atlantic City, NJ have all topped their previous snowiest winter season snowfall totals (at least in recent recorded history).



at 9:38 PM 1 comments
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Snow
Our mission is smack dab in the middle of the "Mid Atlantic" snow storm. The first two photos were taken early this morning looking out the front door of the mission home. I had to dig a path for Ruby, the mission dog, to pee. She lives for adventures like this.

The rest of the photos were taken yesterday. Two are of our patio and the rest were taken as I traveled to Souderton and Reading. I was often the only car on the road. Luckily my mission vehicle is a new Chevy Traverse, a very dependable all-wheel drive "rig".





Officially, 28.5 inches was measured at Philadelphia International Airport, just shy of the all-time record and vaulting the winter of 2009-10 to No. 2 for snow in 126 years of record-keeping. This winter is within 10 inches of becoming the snowiest ever. Another storm is possible Tuesday night into Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment